Bethlehem is a parish in the municipality of Lisbon.
Bethlehem is connected to the Discovery, which took place during King Manuel I reign in 1495.
The discoveries are the name given to the period of history that took place between the 15TH century and the early 17th century, during this period he Portuguese left in the discovery of the globe and new trade routes.
So we can say that Bethlehem marks the beginning of a new era in Portugal.
That’s why Bethlehem is a mark for tourism. Because is related to an important time in our history, on our society and defines who we are a nation.
Some of our great explores
Among the most famous Explorers of this period include
- Christopher Columbus (the discovery of America ),
- Vasco da Gama (the sea route to India ),
- Pedro Álvares Cabral,
- Bartolomeu Dias,
- Fernão de Magalhães
Bethlehem, as a big heritage and the historic monuments, report our present in we world through history.
Bethlehem most famous monuments
- Tombstone of God Asclepius
- Monastery of Santa Maria de Belém, or Jeronimos Monastery
- National Archaeological Museum including the Statues of Lusitanian Montalegre
- Navy Museum
- St. Jerome Chapel or Chapel of San Jerónimo or Ermida do Restelo
- The building of the National Factory of cordage, rope, Twine or Cordoaria Nacional
- Building where is located the Museum of Popular Art
- Palace of the Marquis of Angeja
- Property in Lisbon, on Beach Street
- Centro Cultural de Belém
- Carriages Museum
- Tejo power station or Museum of electricity
- National Palace of Belém
- Chapel of Santo Cristo or Chapel of Santo Cristo
- Convent of Nossa Senhora do Bom Sucesso (set) or Dominican convent of Our Lady of Good Success
- Torre de São Vicente de Belem or Belém Tower or Torre de São Vicente, the pair of Bethlehem
- Monument to the Discoveries
- Chapel of St. Jerome
- Church of Saint Francis Xavier
- Moinho de Caselas
- Estátua do Santo Dom Nuno Álvares Pereira
Now you know a litter bit more about what Bethlehem symbolizes to us.
Next time you visit our country don’t forget to include Bethlehem in your list of places to visit.